Background – old

The Lucas Memorial Hall was built in 1904 by Joseph Lucas as a memorial to his wife. It is situated at the Western end of Waldron village in The Street, beside the Cattam cricket and rugby ground.

Over the years it has been used for a variety of functions. Once a  working men’s club, it was later used for demonstrations of wartime cooking and as a canteen for Canadian troops.  It has been a venue for Women’s Institute meetings and a country market for the sale of local produce.  Many private and community functions are held here.

The Hall is a fine building with pleasing features, including a beautiful stained glass window and unusually high quality brickwork.  It is set in its own grounds and adjoins the recreation field which has a children’s play area. The Hall is heated and available for use during the day and in the evening.  Certain short sessions can be booked at even more competitive rates.

Nowadays a great many activities are undertaken in and around the Hall, some regular and some just occasional. They include yoga, dance rehearsals, a nursery school, art workshops, Scottish dancing classes, a Quiz night, jazz practice and play rehearsals.  It has even been a Charity cycle ride stop! Many dinners are held there, whether private or for groups such as the Cricket and Croquet Clubs, amenity societies and twinning associations. It is also used as a polling station in local and national elections.  Children’s parties can be held in or beside the Hall, where its lawn can take a marquee.

In September 2004 the Hall was refurbished to a high standard and the internal layout altered to accommodate more people. Disabled access was created and improvements made to the catering and toilet facilities. It was redecorated in 2014. Tables and chairs are available within the building for use in the main room, which is of light and airy aspect and has wooden flooring and curtained windows.

The Hall is owned by a Trust of which the Heathfield and Waldron Parish Council is the sole trustee. Since April 2006, a management committee of Waldron villagers has run the Hall.

The Management Committee holds regular meetings to discuss the operation of the Hall. Members of the public are welcome to submit in writing any matters of interest or concern, for consideration by the committee which meets several times a year.

A 1960s party for the older residents of Waldron

A 1960s party for the older residents of Waldron

The Hall decorated for the Coronation of King George V, 1911

The Hall decorated for the Coronation of King George V, 1911

Re-opening ceremony 2004

Re-opening ceremony 2004

Verity Martin (nee Lucas) unveiling the plaque.

Verity Martin (nee Lucas) unveiling the plaque.